A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ketsui : #4

New High Score: 73.568.896 - Stage 5 - Panzer Jager

My hands are still trembling from this run as I am typing this. I was so excited that I couldn't even enter in my initials right. What a great run. A 13 million point increase from my previous score!

I played like crap earlier though. Hours before this run, my highest score was like 46 million, and it felt like an unbreakable ceiling trying to pass that score--and my other scores hovered around 8 million. I even sucked badly when I credit-fed. It wasn't until I had some dinner and ended up watching that Jodie Foster movie "Little Man Tate" on TV that I came back and kicked some ass. I also had Letterman on TV behind me, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't like Letterman, by the way. I never found him to be that funny--maybe his humor is too smart for me or something.

My first small goal was to get 30 million by the time I got to stage 3, since I always got around 27-29 million after the 2nd level tank boss. I guess I just had to get more efficient with collecting the 5 Chips. And then I managed to break 31 million, twice. The first time I did that was for the 58 mill run in the picture above, but I would end up dying in these stupid, back-to-back deaths, until I ruined a potentially good run. So I dusted myself off and tried again.

That next run, I decided to myself that if I were going to die, then I should die with no bombs in stock, so I remembered my experiences with Progear and bombed like a wuss. No Ura Loop for me (Try to bench 100 before you go for 350, buddy). So I ended up 1-lifing up to the fourth stage, which was a record for me. I remained calm throughout, until I survived into the 5th stage and then died at the mid-boss with 73 million.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I've had to set Ketsui down for a bit since my board is having some issues, but I know the feeling it gives you well.

Arcade Fever said...

Man I remember 46M being such a barrier too when I first got Ketsui! How funny that the only time I ever made it to stage 5 was by also bombing like a wuss. And that was my highest 77M score! I have a feeling you are going to beat that soon too. :) I really do think that knowing how/when to bomb is key to 1CCing these games. Damn that DDP series for hardwiring my brain for bomb hording!

DirtyMonk said...

Thanks for the kind words! I've been realizing more and more that one of the most important things to consider when playing shooters (that, along with anything else in life that involves lots of skill and dedication, like playing an instrument or taking on a sport) is making it as enjoyable as possible in whatever way you prefer, whether it be through credit-feeding, dodging bullets, bomb-distribution charts, and dual play. ;) Oh yes, and sticking to one game at a time helps a lot too.