New High Score: 31.484.490 - Stage 4 - Type A - ExySince I have both Ketsui and DOJ hooked up at the same time in my cab, I've been putting in a few runs in between sessions with Ketsui. What I do is credit-feed through Ketsui to practice the later stages until I "beat it", and as the credits role, I'll switch to DOJ and play one run. That way, I don't have to waste time sitting there waiting for Ketsui to be ready again since you can't skip the ending. Or, if I get tired of Ketsui, I'll play DOJ. And vice-versa.
So out of the blue one day, I manage to break 31 million, which is my highest score yet...and it isn't much at all, given a respectable Japanese score is over 1 billion points.
Scoring well in DOJ is so reliant on chaining, that merely surviving is not enough. You could pull the craziest dodging to keep yourself alive for two loops, yet you can never leave an impression on DOJ unless you can chain properly. It's like confidence and women. Sure, you can work hard to impress her with a nice car, a nice job, getting skilled and knowledgeable in everything women are into, but if you're either insecure or lack the confidence to take the initiative, you could be pulling rabbits out of hats or hoisting elephants on your shoulders, and she won't even give you a second glance.
Same goes for DOJ. If you can't chain worth shit, your score isn't going to get anywhere. That's basically where I am with this game. I've been playing on and off for a couple years, and while my dodging has improved tremendously over the years, I still cannot consistently chain the beginning of the first stage. It's like, "LOOK, DOJ! I can make it past two bullet-ridden stages without losing any lives AND I've used all my Hypers! I've even used them on the bosses. Plus, I got to Stage 4! Aren't you proud of me?!"
"Oh, that's nice. What's your highest chain?"
"Um, 503."
"No score for you!" (Throws its head back and laughs, walking away.)
It is frustrating, and I hate it. But somehow, I just keep crawling back to the game because I can't get enough of this punishment. I have such a masochistic relationship with this game, and yet, I love it, even when it kicks my ass 100% of the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment