A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ketsui : #12

Current High Score: 91.947.608 - Stage 5 - Panzer Jager

**Picture above is a beautiful screen shot sven666 took of Ketsui crashing during the first stage.

I made it to the last boss last night. I had one life left with 4 bombs, and I thought I could take him--but instead, I foolishly crashed into a bullet and died. I fell over and screamed obscenities to myself for a couple minutes.

I was kicking so much ass in the beginning. I 1-lifed towards the end of the fourth stage before choking hard with three stupid deaths. I then made it to the last stage with three lives left and missed the special extend too. My new roommate, who was just moving in that evening, came out to check out what I was screaming about. He was into rhythm games so he could relate to my experience.

For the past week, I have been taking a short break from shooters because I was starting to get tired of them and felt like playing something slower or just doing something else entirely. So I read through an unfinished book I once wrote in High School and started taking up the guitar (an old classical acoustic that was sitting in my garage).

So last night was the first time I played in a while. It took several pathetic runs before I suddenly managed to pull a good one. Even though I made it to the last boss, my score was still lower than my highest score (91--almost, though), which kind of sucks because I realized that even if I did beat the last boss, my score would probably be below 100 million, which sucks because everyone who has finished the 1st loop on the Ketsui High Score Thread (on the Shmups! Board) has scores over 100 million, so naturally, I'd expect my score to at least be higher than that.

Oh well. My Stage 4 and 5 scores are sloppy, being bomb and death-ridden as hell anyway, so that's where the problem is.

No comments: