A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ketsui : #13

Current High Score: 91.947.608 - Stage 5 - Panzer Jager

After about twenty credits (which included two credit-feeding clears), I managed to pull another 91 million score, but it was still not high enough to surpass my personal best. I'm hitting a wall with this game.

Again, I managed to make it to Stage 4 with one life--and to top that off, survived through most of that bullet-ridden stage without any bombs in stock. I even destroyed the first nightmare (pictured here) and managed to get 5-Chips off him. There are tanks that roll out on the bottom of the screen, and they can be used to set the 5-Chip counter right before he's about to die. His two angry brothers got revenge on me though, as one of them trapped me in the corner and killed me with that blue spread shot. I have no idea how to score against those particular nightmares, but someday I'll figure it out, or I'll check out the superplay for once.

From Stages 1-3, I was calm and precise enough to survive, but right before I died, I was beginning to fall apart. I was getting the shakes since I was feeling really excited and then my hands started to get cold. When this happens, I'll do stupid things like tap-dodge right into a bullet I was able to dodge a million times before. I lost two lives in between my first death and the 4th boss. Two stupid deaths. What a waste of life. But oh well, shit happens.

No comments: