A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Progear no Arashi : Day #7

New High Score: 7.833.550 - Stage 4 - Bolt/Nail

Edit: Know what? I like the day format. Makes for some more exciting posts.

Been busy lately going out to social events such as professional mixers and LoveFest in SF today. After having gone for nearly two days without playing, I made a 400K increase to my score on the first run today. It was as though my hands longed for the touch of my joystick (yeah, I know you liked that imagery), and I just felt more calm playing. Before, I would feel a sense of panic whenever I was facing a pattern I usually died at. Today, it was like ho-hum, I just dodged that.

One improvement I'd like to note is that I'm no longer consistently dying at the first boss since that last pattern that used to give me so much trouble is actually more manageable now. Something about feeling more relaxed, which makes it easier to maneuver the stick in a more precise way. Funny thing is, I still die anyway on some subsequent runs, but I'm less consistent at it. But you know what, I may have jinxed myself by mentioning it anyway.

Strange thing was, that after the first run, I had nothing but shitty runs after that (no pun intended). Maybe I was trying hard to score well on the early levels again, so the game punished me for trying to act cocky coming off my latest score increase. Or maybe subconsciously, I thought that the 400K was enough of a jump for today, since I'm now in the mood to watch some movies. Until next time.

No comments: