A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Progear no Arashi : Day #6


New High Score: 7.483.410

Lesson learned: Bomb like a wuss.

After a string of really bad runs ending at stage 3 (Averaging about 2.4 mill), I was getting irritated with how Progear was putting me in my place whenever I tried to score. But scoring is so tempting! Vacuuming in an entire screen-load of those diamond gems feels so good, even when I end up dying early with a shitty score. It's like getting greedy and OD'ing on cocaine before I get the chance to develop a tolerance.

So I decided to heed my own advice learned from the previous runs and decided to bomb when in doubt. My mission was to make sure that if I died, I didn't have any bombs left in stock. Needless to say, it worked. I made it to Stage 4 with 1 life! My score coming in was quite shitty, but it's much better than dying early. Not only that, but I managed to beat Kraken (the Stage 4 Boss) for the first time and made it to Stage 5, which is the last level. I used those bombs, allright.

I guess this is the way I ought to be playing for now until I get better. But making those gems is so enticing! This is how it's like for me: Let's say Progear is this really attractive woman, you see--but she's someone who wants to take it slow. I'm over here trying to get into her pants, trying to unhook her bra, and going in for the kiss all on the first date (Hell, in this case, it may not even be a first date yet). Of course I'm going to get slapped.

No comments: