A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Espgaluda II : #3


Current High Score: 114.264.449 - Stage 5 - Ageha
Kakusei Overmode Survival: End of Stage 3 (past midboss)

Didn't play yesterday, and so I played today and managed to break 110 million, bringing me close. Take note that I didn't just get that in a single play. I played dozens of credits, and some of them are pitiful, ending sometimes at stage 1 even. I hate it when players make you think that they got that amazing score with just one try, or that they only play a given shooter like 3 times, and after that, they retire with that score that is much higher that you can ever wish to reach. Didn't the world record holder of Ikaruga say he practiced for over 80 hours on Stage 3 alone?

Sure, it could have been the first run for the day, but still, come on. Nobody's perfect. My scores range from 6 mill to 70 mill, and then that personal record comes in out of the blue, and I can't explain how it happened. Still pitiful when compared to the Japanese, but hey, if I kept with that attitude, I would have given up a long time ago. Everybody has a different style regardless. While there are people who enjoy meticulously working at it, I like to keep it fun. It keeps me sane.

I always get to stage 5 with just 1 life left, and I am desperately fighting for my life while the bullets fill the screen. That's what I love about shooters. Intense emotions of horror, dread, while feeling a sweeping exhilaration from the thrill of surviving--all within 20-30 minutes of play (actually, it isn't as stressful as you'd think). I'm getting the hang of the stage 4 boss, and his patterns don't look so intimidating anymore, but I still get my ass whooped if I'm not careful.

I'm rambling again.

No comments: