A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progear no Arashi Day #13


New High Score: 9.158.610 - Stage 4 - Bolt/Nail

I couldn't sleep last night, so I got up at 8 am, ate some breakfast and decided to play some more. I don't remember much of the run because I'm writing it later in the day after I took a 6 hour nap. All I can recall was that the key for me to score higher now is triggering the increase in rank so I can get more bullets on the screen. To increase the rank, I believe it has something to do with accumulating more of that jewelry/jems counter in the lower left corner until it reaches a certain point. The earlier you do this, the more it makes the game harder, but it also makes it easier to score. This has been happening to me lately since I've gotten the hang of scoring a bit, and I've noticed more bullets on the screen.

The Italian dudes over at AEX Shooting Team put up a useful guide to scoring well (as well as 270 mill!) using Ring ('Gambler'), and one of the things I recall reading is to get at least 7,000 on the counter by the time you reach the big tanks at the fort in the middle of stage 1. That's crazy. I get 7,000 by the time I get to the first boss. I actually have that superplay video they cover in the guide, and whenever I watch it, I start to play worse because I die a lot trying to do what the guy in the vid does. I wonder if there is a good Bolt replay around, because I don't feel like switching pilots just to get a higher score. Sounds kind of lame to do that. I want to play how I like to play and make it happen around that.

No comments: