A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Progear no Arashi : Day #11


Current High Score: 8.658.400

It's been a couple of days since I've last touched this game. The highest I was able to pull off was that 8.4 mill score. I literally had to grind my way to those scores above. I must have played for over four hours nonstop, clearing out all of my remaining old scores off that board--except for the highest one. At least I've been becoming more consistent at being able to make it to stage 4 at the least, and I'm improving at scoring. I just suck at survival though.

My performance for the earlier stages have been getting better, since I just cannot keep myself from trying to find new ways to vacuum those gems and milking that first boss. I felt so good when I was able to pull off that continuous gem vacuum on the first boss's trident-shaped line of bullets. The second stage is still tricky though, and I always die when I'm trying to milk that large plane in the middle of the level, and sometimes the second boss pulls off a pattern I can't dodge for some reason.

I've noticed the game begins to rank up, as in enemies begin to throw a bit more bullets at you, and bosses which seemed easier before are suddenly a little more difficult. Fuck. Just when I get better at scoring, the game begins to make it harder for me to traverse a level. At least it makes it easier to pull in more gems.

As for Omega Fighter Special, I wasn't able to spend any quality time with it. The team was able to pull through with at least three scores anyway, so my contribution wasn't required. I thought the whole idea of changing it to special mode to make the game easier was a bit lame since that made the game all about suiciding at the boss to get a 1 million pt bonus or something. I didn't quite like that, since scoring was supposed to revolve around point-blanking enemies to get a proximity bonus, which would have made it more interesting, even though that made me play terribly at first.

No comments: