A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ketsui Revisited

New High Score: 55.913.625 - Stage 4 - Panzer Jager

At Dave_K.'s latest meet, I managed a 55 mill run out of the blue after not having played the game for over a month. I did play a bunch of different games (including Futari) before getting this score as well, so that could have been it. My highest score preceding this one was 41 mill, so this is quite a gain concerning I've been playing nothing but Espgaluda II lately.

Hovering all around my score on the table is Zakk from HEY POOR PLAYER! fame, including that monstrous 133 mill score on the top of the picture. I was glad there was another Panzer Jager player around, since every time I played Ketsui at Dave's meets, I'd swear everyone used the Tiger
Schwert, and I would think there was something wrong with me for preferring the faster ship. That's how I rolled. I was also glad that Zakk didn't play Ketsui too much after I broke my record, since he would have easily cleaned me off of the scoreboard. Thanks for the pic as well, Zakk.

I think it's about time I played some more Ketsui.

1 comment:

Arcade Fever said...

Although Tiger Schwert is slower, I like the wide shot when I start getting into hairy situations and need to just sit back and kill everything. I feel the Panzer Jager is more for advanced scoring players (definately not me) not unlike the A ship in DDO DOJ. Anyway, once I get comforable with the levels and want to buzz through them quicker with more scoring, I'll switch to Panzer Jager.