A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Re-entering the Valley of Death

Ketsui : #14


Current High Score: 91.947.608 - 1-5 - Panzer Jager

After taking over a month off of Ketsui, I decided to sit my ass down before the Astro to plug away at it again. I forgot a lot about this game and could barely make it to the 3rd stage boss, but a lot of it came back quickly. Hopefully, what caused me to get burned out with Ketsui won't come back either, since that was what I was hoping to forget.

After hours of continual runs, I was able to score 60 million again, and then just yesterday, I managed to get back to 84 million. Before, while I was getting burned out with the game, I would get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I died in between the first and third stage, and then I would feel like giving up, cursing Ketsui in my head as though I were having a fight with an estranged girlfriend.

So nowadays, it's all about not giving a fuck. I'll bomb if I have to. If I die with a full bomb stock, oh well. Shit happens. I love hearing the lock-on sound, and I love it when I just know that after twenty or so runs, I can feel that I actually got better.

And then I look at the Shmups High Score Board for Ketsui and notice how MrMonkeyMan completed the first loop in...a few days, and I just get depressed. Why bother?

But then again, I love hearing that Lock-On sound.

Edit: I love hearing that Lock-On sound while realistic-looking tanks and EVAC Industry-owned enemy installations explode under my unstoppable helicopter equipped with fin-funnels of death.

No comments: