A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Why Am I Doing This?

You may be wondering why I'm going through the trouble of creating a blog which centers around me playing video games while recording progress as though I were bodybuilding or changing my life or something.

You may also be coming to some sort of conclusion that in order for anyone to fully enjoy something as hardcore as a manic shooter, you should best keep some kind of a journal about it to keep track of progression. Because shooting games are so hardcore and difficult, that only masochistic fanatics can truly enjoy them.

That's bullshit. I hope you don't believe that.

The main reason why I am doing this is because I tend to have an issue with sticking to one thing at a time, especially when it comes to shooters. I like to stay balanced, but I also tend to lose focus when my attention is on something else. I can also get a little impatient about some things and that tends to blind me from feeling optimistic towards any small, incremental progressions that would be wonderful to acknowledge, but instead, they become insignificant enough to be ignored. So in other words, I shouldn't rely on memory to keep track of what's happened.

I like it when things happen fast, especially when it comes to progression. Shooters require a surprising amount of skill to master or complete, and this takes time and practice. One thing about them is they're all relatively short, but full of these bursts of pure intensity, so it's easy to feel like playing something else once I've finished a run with one. And that's what always ended up happening.

I'd play something like Guwange for like, two days consecutively, and then I'd put it aside and play something else. Then months would pass by. After that, I'd come back to Guwange, die on the fourth stage and think to myself: "I've played this game for a couple years already, and I still can't make it to the final boss on one credit." And then I'd beat myself up for it feeling I wasn't being passionate enough with one of my most favorite hobbies. Gee, I wonder why!

So that is why this blog was created. It's kind of a personal issue I have with patience and practice, and that issue has nothing to do with shooters themselves. I could do the same with bodybuilding, improving a troubling relationship, or about detailed, daily life while unemployed (that could be interesting). I thought it would be cool to chronicle my journey with a particular game, and see where I can go with it. In addition to that, I like to post official artwork of the games all over my blog to highlight its greatness, and it also makes my blog look better.

Maybe it's more than a simple journal then, but a glimpse through my perspective of how I see these games. I love playing them, and love can be contagious. A lot of people don't seem to see these games this way. Maybe someday more of them can.

2 comments:

Arcade Fever said...

Look at it this way...some people spend an inordinate amount of time and money mastering the game of golf. Both [shmups/golf] requires a lot of patients and practice. So I see no problem substituting one for the other. :)

DirtyMonk said...

Everyone's got that one crazy thing which consumes their lives and makes them happy. I'm glad it's not something like drugs or betting on horses. And yeah, I'm not a big fan of golf. ;) I'd only play for the social and business-related benefits.