A shoot 'em up (or shmup for short) is a computer and video game genre where the player controls a vehicle or character and fights large numbers of enemies with shooting attacks, usually of a highly stylized nature. In Japan, where the genre remains most vital, they are known simply as "shooting games" (STGs for short). During the peak of their popularity, they were commonly called simple shooters, but as games broke into three dimensions, this term came to be more inclusive.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In the Last 8 or So Months...


So much has happened. Shortly after playing through old computer games like Doom, Duke 3D, Secret of Monkey Island, Starcraft, and Gabriel Knight, I found myself getting into tabletop Role Playing Games (White Wolf's World of Darkness, along with many of its ilk). I guess it filled a need in me to be more creative while taking part in a collaborative story. It was pure bliss to play a game where you had the freedom to do anything from taking drugs to murdering a woman and sending her rib back to a group of mages in a Tony Roma's takeout box. Not that I enjoy doing these things all of the time, but they are extreme examples. I do tend to digress as well...

Later that year, I made the decision to move to Virginia, which was pretty hectic. I had to say goodbye to a lot of people I've known back in CA, which was pretty sad, but oh well, life goes on.

I dropped my Astro City while rolling it off of the moving truck, and it exploded like a Cave boss would...nah, I'm just kidding. Astro Cities are built like tanks. It only suffered a miniscule scratch on top of it--and it even struck the curb as it fell! And this was after sitting for days in 35-degree weather while moving boxes weighing over 80 pounds pressed against it during the shipment. I suppose that is not as bad as getting baked in an oven or dropped into a river, but I was pretty paranoid it wasn't going to survive its trip to the East Coast.

So after many more months of getting settled in, I may be working again. That means I'll have more of a fixed schedule to begin a routine. Before then, I was simply dabbling a bit in Thunder Force VI and Mountain of Faith. I fired up Ketsui a few days ago and realized how much I suck more at it, but I realized the more I played, it all comes back fast like muscle memory.

Soon, I will bring you down, EVAC Industry. I'm not finished with you yet.

4 comments:

Arcade Fever said...

Welcome back man! I don't know why, but your blog is completely broken looking at it with Mac OSX safari. Switched to Firefox and that seems to work better, at least I can post comments. LOL.

DirtyMonk said...

D'oh! Thanks for the heads up. I think it may have something to do with those few lines of code I deleted after I got that error... Hmm.

DirtyMonk said...

I think I may have fixed it, so I believe it works fine now.

Arcade Fever said...

Yup, working fine now with OSX Safari!